Kingston Mencap is a local charity for people with a learning disability and their families, based at Searchlight in New Malden.
They run clubs, drop-ins and various activities for our members, as well as offering information and support.
Kingston Mencap also attend meetings with the council and keep in contact with Adult Social Care and Commissioning, Healthwatch and hold Family forums with topics of interest.
They are affiliated to Royal Mencap and have the same vision, mission and values, to ensure people are valued equally, listened to and included like everyone else in society.
Right now people with a learning disability still face inequalities in every area of life and their aim is to make sure their voices are heard, offer support and help fill gaps in services to improve the quality of people’s lives here in Kingston, especially now at this very difficult time living through Covid-19.
During lockdown Kingston Mencap provided various activities especially for those isolated or living at home with older family members who have had to shield.
Kingston Mencap continues to help members by:
- Holding Family Carers and council staff Zoom meetings
- Zoom music, quiz, bingo sessions to keep people entertained
- Supplied iPads to members who are isolated and don't have tech we also offered ongoing support
- Delivered art material and games to individuals homes
- Telephoned those feeling socially isolated
- Chats with members and Involve Peer Advocates
- Holding focus groups on topics relating to health, support provision during Covid and general information
- Sending fun activities and resources to members and family carers to keep busy while staying in
- Supporting members by signposting when asked for advice
Kingston Mencap has continued to operate by phone, email and Zoom through coronavirus but are now looking to open up Searchlight again and to introduce some small activity sessions, but this is all reliant on an acceptable risk assessment so watch this space!
For more Information contact: email@example.com.