The Good Food Group…over the last 6 months, charities from across Kingston, proactively addressing the area of Food Insecurity, have come together to share resources, redistribute surplus across the Borough, help problem solve and support each other.
Initially, thanks to funding from the Big Lottery Community Fund, a core group of 6 charities/organisations came together to form the partnership, including Milaap Centre, Voices of Hope, Independent Yemen Group, The Good Food Co-op, Korean group, Save the World, CREST, Kingston Food HUB.
To date, during the 4 month period of Oct-Jan, they have achieved the following:
• Purchased an electric van to pick up and redistribute surplus food
• Provided 8187 culturally diverse cooked meals
• Given out 7949 boxes of food
• Had 9073 individuals access food support in addition to those receiving individual prepared meals
• Clocked up and impressive 4724 hours from volunteers
• Referred 43 people to financial support
• Referred 77 people to advocacy
• Shared over 4000 healthy eating recipe cards
• Run 8 online cooking classes
If you are interested in joining the Good Food Group, to work in partnership and support each other, please fill in the following form:
They want to encourage any groups working to support those in need of food whether that be food banks, community lunches, soup kitchens etc.
Good Food Co-op
- The Good Food Co-op…going from strength to strength…their wonderful Borough-wide fruit & veg box delivery is now sending out 190 boxes with 90 of those being heavily subsidised and going to those who otherwise can’t afford healthy fruit and veg. This is made possible by all the profits from full paying customers going to help those in need. They’d love to encourage more people to sign up so they can continue to increase their offer of support to others. Go to goodfoodcoop.org.uk.
- Brite Box…now sending 280 boxes out each week to children, providing children with key cooking skills, recipes and all the food needed to make a health meal for the whole family. They're now working with 20 schools, 4 youth charities / community groups. They are doing another fundraising drive to enable them to continue next year supporting families. See online appeal: https://gofund.me/5f369f67