The Charity Commission has launched a campaign aimed at helping trustees refresh their knowledge of charity governance and be “certain in uncertain times”.
Five animated videos promoting the regulator’s 5-minute guides, provide simple, easy to understand information on all the governance basics trustees need to know.
The campaign comes as part of the Commission’s commitment to helping busy trustees run their charities.
The regulator’s approach to the campaign is informed by research into trustees’ knowledge and awareness of their responsibilities, and into trustees’ wider attitudes.
The past year has been incredibly tough for charities and the pandemic has meant they are facing unprecedented challenges and trustees are making very difficult decisions, often at pace.
This campaign is aimed at new and experienced trustees alike – all charities stand to gain from trustees who take active responsibility for acquiring and refreshing their knowledge of sound charity management.
The campaign prompts trustees to consider their understanding of their key responsibilities by a posing question connected to each guide:
- Does every decision help your charity with its mission? (Charity purposes and rules guide)
- Could your charity be drifting into activities that your charity is not set up to do? (Making decisions at a charity guide)
- Is your charity reporting the right things at the right time? (What to send to the Charity Commission and how to get help guide)
- Could you spot a conflict of interest and manage it? (Addressing conflicts of interest in a charity guide)
- Is there more you can do to prevent fraud? (Managing charity finances guide)